Wednesday, February 28, 2007

advice from man-hating mommies

Oh man. The advice just keeps on coming. Today at lunch (note to self: go out for lunch from now on) I was asked by a couple of my coworkers how I was feeling and if I had begun to do any baby shopping yet. I mentioned that I got a crib from my neighbor and that I picked up a couple little things for Avery to wear, and that my hubby had gone stuffed animal crazy for her too (he is so cute right now). I brought up the fact that I was keeping my eye out for a change table/dresser, and I was told by 2 women not to bother to get a change table. Oookay.

“Just change her on your bed” they said.

“What if I’m upstairs in the nursery?” I asked (we live in a bungalow with a loft so our master bedroom is on the main floor and there are 2 bedrooms upstairs, one of which is the nursery.

“She might roll off the table” one of them said.

For fucks sake people. Like I’m going to put my baby in a high place she can fall from and leave her alone. I’m changing her goddamn diaper. I’ll be right there.

Then one of them started to tell me about the best bottles to use. The other one asked me if I was breastfeeding and I told her yes. She told me “Then you won’t really need a breast pump. And you won’t need bottles for a long time.”

“What if I want to leave her with the grandparents and go out for dinner one night? How will she eat?” Me, apparently asking a stupid question.

“I never left my baby for the first six months” one of the women.

“Me neither” the other one.

“What if you want a night out with your husband?” me.

“Why?” they asked in unison.

Oh. My. Gawd.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

i didnt use a change table. I had bum wipes and diapers and diaper cream in both bathrooms in our house, in a basket conveniently stored under an end table in the living room and wherever and whenever one of them pooped I changed. I did it on the floor on a receiving blanket or on a change pad. I guess I technically had a changing pad on the playpen that we borrowed from my sister but it was used more for dressing than for changing.

I also used the Playtex Advance (or something) bottles... they're curved, less gas for the baby. I found they worked best. I rented a breast pump from the drug store and yes, you will need one and can get the hand pump ones at Toys R Us or Sears or something. I borrowed my sisters but it wasnt big enough (sigh).

I left my girls with their grandparents at 2 months. So those other mothers can shove it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh yes... and I moved my blog to http://justanothermanicmomday.blogspot.com

That ought to keep all the riff raff out.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home