Friday, November 07, 2008

A New Era

In Canada, we have never had a black prime minister. Actually, neither has Great Britain. So in a way, I find it strange for Canadians to congratulate Americans on finally “breaking through the race barrier” or overcoming their racist past. I know much of this has to do with the fact that slavery was deemed acceptable practice for a longer time in the US than it was in Canada, and that to this day race relations in the States remain tumultuous – especially in the Southern states. Canada, while it is a much more liberal country than America, is still guilty of its own racist history and is not free of racism in this present day.

On the other hand, I woke up the day after Barack Obama was elected with a sense of peace I have never felt before. In a way, the world felt, if only temporarily, like a better place. And as I watched the reaction from black Americans as they found out that Obama was the President elect, I couldn’t hold back the tears. Truly it was an amazing thing to witness. After the horrible historic events in the recent history of the US, including 911 and Hurricane Katrina, this was a proud moment for everyone. So I do not regard this historic event as the US finally entering into the new era with the rest of us, because the rest of us have certainly not been this progressive thus far in our own elections…instead I see this as a victory for black Americans who can hopefully feel that finally - after slavery, after the years and years of fighting to be seen as equals, after the horrific aftermath of the hurricane that showed them that they didn’t mater to the rest of the country – they have a voice.

This is also a victory for women, who under McCain’s presidency would be left once again fighting for rights over their own bodies. And I hope that this will also be a victory for healthcare in the US, for the fight against global warming, and that President Obama will end the occupation in Iraq.

Many Canadians have asked me why I had so much interest in this US election. My brother in law says he does not understand, when we only had a 60% (or less) voter turn out for our recent election, how so many of us could have so much passion for American politics. I asked him how he could be so naïve. The impact of the US election will have far greater implications and consequences for us and for the rest of the world than our own will. I think that the election of Obama has sent a signal to the world that the US is ready to start participating. I think Obama represents a smarter, more fair America.

After 8 years of an ignorant, stupid Republican running the show, this really was the change that we all needed. Thank you to all the Americans who voted for Obama. And as for Sarah Palin: go back to Alaska, bitch. And stay there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home