Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the centre cannot hold

A few weeks ago, the President of the company I work for sent out an e-mail to all the employees to let everyone know that despite the current economic crisis in the US, everything was fine. I immediately called bullshit and when talking to a few of my colleagues, suggested that this is the placating email that goes out before the cuts come. Everyone told me I was being pessimistic. I work for a big company, with many locations worldwide. I guess everyone felt safe up here in Canada but guess what? I was freaking right.

Today is, what I can only imagine, the first of the “restructuring” emails. The handy little euphemism means that the company will be cutting some fat. This time, it’s about 300 people globally. The email downplays this seriousness by reminding us that this is only 1% of worldwide staff. Of course they don’t tell us where they are cutting and which departments are going to go first. Once again, everyone thinks I am being paranoid. I have a feeling this is the beginning of some serious layoffs.

What amazes me is that, even before this email came out, no one seemed to be concerned about the state of the economies – ours or the States. Are the masses too distracted with their bread and circuses? Am I being paranoid?

For now, all I can do is sit and wait. I do think things are going to get a lot worse though. Thankfully the husband has a recession-proof job. I know a lot of people in some pretty bad situations right now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Reminds me of that other company who 'restructured' and 'cut the fat,' abandoning some employees in Toronto, bouncing employee cheques, selling off computers to pay bills and what not.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Ms. Smoochy said...

Thank goodness for recession proof jobs. I think my Hubby's is... I hope...

I hope you don't get the axe, Dear.

The world is crazy right now. You are not being paranoid. Nothing seems certain.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home