Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lunchtime Martyrs

I have noticed a disturbing trend around the office lately; there appears to be some sort of unspoken competition that begins each day at 12pm: who can avoid going to lunch the longest in order to be the last person at the cafeteria table.

Perhaps I should explain.

The reason for the intentional tardiness, I am assuming, is to appear to be “too busy to go for lunch”. Each day the same technical support guy is the first to get up from his chair at exactly noon and saunter by all of our cubicles asking us if we are coming for lunch. Often, I am on the phone when he walks by me so I just give him the nod and the shooing motion with my hand. Other people, one of them being my boss, practically guffaw at him and often make comments like:

“Whoa, it must be twelve on the dot cause so and so is already on their way to lunch-you know so and so, we don’t have to go running to the cafeteria just because it’s noon” (This is usually said in a hateful and rude way and normally said by my boss.)

Each day, for the past two weeks, lunch for the majority in the office has been beginning later and later. It’s like, everyone is in the competition now. It’s really annoying because I am normally hungry around noon because I have breakfast at 6:45am, and I don’t want to sit in the cafeteria by myself. Also, this is the only time of day I have to socialize since I quit smoking, so I would like to actually see people.

Anyway, I won’t go on about this but it is really getting on my nerves. It is common knowledge that 80% of people who work here have nothing to do; this is after all government work.

What is the deal with people?

Office Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home