Tuesday, February 14, 2006

V-Day

Hey everyone!!! It's Valentines Day!!!!! YaY!!!!!!!!!!

Valetines Day in the office: annoying.

I have received 4 valetines so far, and all are from female coworkers. These are the women who have their cubicles all decked out in Valentines paraphenalia, yet are single, and have been single for many years. One of them even has one of those bobbly things with the antennae that you wear on your head. You know those? Yeah, the ones with the little hearts.

I'm not trying to be a total prick about this but come on. Yet another Hallmark holiday where men feel pressured to "prove their love" by purchasing useless and overpriced items for women who for some reason demand these things; and where single women everywhere go home, watch Bridgette Jones and drink by themselves. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I happen to like that movie and I do on occasion crack a bottle of wine all by my lonesome.

I'm married. Once you are married, and even when you are dating seriously, the "holidays" just keep piling up. Birthdays, anniversaries, valentines, Christmas, etc. Why are we required to purchase crap just because Hallmark has invented another holiday? Why don't couples just do nice things for eachother on regular days? We all know that men just hate this holiday. They have to buy overpriced flowers, stupid cheeseball cards, or outrageously expensive jewelery. If they don't, they are jerks. And what do women have to do?

We are supposed to be taken out for dinner and then put out.

Seriously. This is the image we are provided with in this culture. It's like, this is the only day all year where you do something nice for your partner (other than the other bazillion forced holidays that require you to buy shit and give your husband a blow job, except for Christmas-that day is for baby Jesus, not blow jobs). But I digress.

I say fuck Valentines day. Do something nice for your significant other on any old day. And stop buying cards! How ridiculous is it that I get a valentines card from my grandmother?!? I'm not even kidding-they make valentines cards for grandparents to give to their grandchildren.

And to all the women in my office: I am not your valentine, it's really nice of you to think of me but perhaps you should put your energies into finding a man. And you can start by taking those bobble things off of your head-that would definetly improve the chances.

Office Girl.

PS: Apropo of nothing, I have started reading a really, really good book. "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman- I highly recommend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home