Tuesday, November 25, 2008

and how was your evening?

Yesterday, as I was driving home from work, a familiar and horrible pain began in my stomach. Deep down, I knew what it was but I tried to pretend that it would go away by the time I got home. I was wrong. By the time I got in the door, I was doubled over in pain with a toddler clawing at me and a husband threatening to take me to the hospital.

I think I might have gallstones.

This is the second “attack” I have had in two months. Generally, it starts as what feels like massive gas pain in the right side of my stomach, but eventually becomes horrible, crippling pain that spreads to my back and right shoulder as I literally writhe around on the floor for 2 hours or more like a wild animal. Eventually, the pain subsides and I am left weak, pale and pretty fucking irritated with the whole thing. The last time this happened, I assumed it was gas. My husband looked at me when I told him this and told me that “there is no way that gas pain does that to someone”. As a firefighter, he goes to medical calls and he told me he thought I was passing a kidney stone or something. I would compare the pain to labour. Labour at about the time the idiot nurse let my epidural run out while I was in transition and dilated to 10 centimetres. She left the room for 45 minutes. If I ever see that woman again I will hurt her.

Anyway, the pain is that bad. My dad had his gallbladder removed when he was around my age because he had some gallstones. He tells me his attacks were like mine. And apparently, pregnancy can trigger these attacks. Yay. I’m 18 weeks pregnant with a broke-ass gallbladder. I still have not had a diagnosis. I am seeing the doctor next week and I imagine will have to go in for some tests. Maybe they can just take a gander at the old gallbladder when I’m in for my ultrasound on Tuesday.

This could turn out to be something completely different, but I’m thinking my assumption about gallstones might be correct.

I’ll update accordingly.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Get thyself to emergency. I had gallstones right after the kids were born and had an emergency gall bladder removal because one ended up in my pancreas. Yes, gallstones feel like gas at first, then progress to the worst possible pain imaginable from your left shoulder to your hips. Nothing will make the pain go away unless you get the fucker removed. Do it now while your bean is still little. You do not want to be 8 months pregnant and be facing surgery. And I don't think any dietary changes will make the stones go away. Emergency for you!

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home