Tuesday, May 01, 2007

pregnancy update: week 31

So I went in for my gestational diabetes test. I made sure to get there first thing in the morning (8am) so that they could take my first sample right away and get the ball rolling. I fasted from 7pm the night before so I was not in the mood for waiting around. I told the nurse what I was there for and she told me to go and take a seat and they would call me.

I waited for 45 minutes while everyone else and their grandmother had blood taken before me.

Finally, I had my first sample taken, peed in a cup, and drank the orange fizzy stuff down as fast as I could. I waited an hour and had my second test. It was at this time that the nurse told me that I had to stay at the doctor’s office the entire time in case I fainted. I was not too bothered because I only had one more hour and one more blood test to go, so I read my Noam Chomsky book (bad choice; let just say it was a little dry) and glared at all the jerks who didn’t cover their mouths when they coughed (I’m a big time germophobe).

When I went in for the blood, the nurse informed me that she had made a mistake and that I had to do one more blood test in an hour and then I would be done. So I went for a walk outside of the building because it was a nice day and the time oozed by until finally I was done. The last test was like getting blood from a stone, but she got it.

A few days later, because I had not heard from the lab, I assumed that my test was negative because they only call when something is wrong. I was going in to see my doctor for a prenatal appointment that week anyway.

At the appointment, my doctor gets out the results and tells me that I am going to have to do the test over.

“What??” I ask.

“Your blood clotted in the vile. They ran the test anyway and all of your levels are normal to low, but because the blood clotted, they want you to do the test over again.” She looked apologetic.

“So I don’t have gestational diabetes, but I have to do the test again?” me.

“Pretty much.” Doctor.

I was kind of like, wtf, at this point. I really do not want to take another 4 hours off of work and have to starve me and the baby unnecessarily for 14 hours to do a test that I already know the results of. So I am now in the process of deciding whether I am going to do this test again. I am also wondering how competent the nurses are at the office to let my fucking blood sit around long enough to coagulate. Do they not have an anti-coagulant in the vile? Hello?!? Pregnant lady fasting…sitting around in a germ-infested doctor’s office for hours…maybe don’t fuck around with the test?!?

Anyways. My sciatica seems to have gotten a bit better. I’ve gained about 11 pounds now and still no sign of stretch marks (knock on wood), though my belly button looks pretty strained. I feel good. I can see body parts rolling under my skin and Avery still fits snugly in the old uterus. The odd time I feel her jam her head into my ribcage, but it’s not so bad.

Things are busy as usual. I need to get off my ass and sign up for the breastfeeding classes and book my hospital tour. I can’t believe I am 31 weeks pregnant already.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Oh wow. Honestly? I would maybe consider not doing it. YOu already basically know (from the first TWO times you took the test) that your levels are normal. Why should you have to put yourself and your baby through a third, just because other people don't have their shit together? So sorry you had to deal with this!!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home