Friday, April 20, 2007

pregnancy update: week 29

I will definitely have to agree with the books when they say to enjoy the second trimester because the third trimester is a little uncomfortable. The heartburn is no fun but the back pain is what gets to me. Sciatica sucks. It makes me waddle and then annoying idiots at my office tell me I’ve got “the pregnancy waddle” and I want to burn holes in them with my eyes because my excruciating back pain is causing me to walk funny, not my belly. So far, I’ve gained 10 pounds. Not too bad but the belly is getting in the way sometimes. I got wedged in the fridge the other day (hunting for mustard) because I forgot that I could not turn sideways and reach all the way to the back of the fridge without getting stuck.

I went in for my gestational diabetes screening and failed the first test, which surprised the shit out of me and my doctor. Now I have to go in for the three hour test on Monday. I have no symptoms and I’m not puffy or swollen. My doctor said that many women fail the first test and go on to pass the second one. I really, really hope I do not have gestational diabetes. I have been so careful with my diet and sugar intake. I exercise everyday and take my vitamins. Ugh.

I also found out that I am anemic and therefore have to take extra iron pills. I was wondering why people were telling me I looked so pale. Unfortunately, the reason I had to change to a two-a-day prenatal vitamin was because the iron in my original vitamin was hurting my stomach. So now my stomach pretty much hurts all the time. Again I say ugh.

I pee on average three to four times a night. This is apparently a result of my body sucking water osmosis-style from the air as I sleep because I have been limiting how much I drink a few hours before bed to avoid having to pee so much. When I get up, my sciatica jolts me awake and then I spend an extra 15-20 minutes trying to get back to sleep. Good times.
The good stuff: Avery moves around all day and it makes me so happy. I have these wonderful dreams where I am holding her and everything feels warm and safe. I am getting closer to the end and feeling less and less afraid of labour (for now). When my back doesn’t hurt, I feel great and go on long walks with my husband and Charlie. I have never been this hungry in my life and when I eat, it feels so good. I love tomatoes. And the best thing of all; soon all of us get to meet my baby girl and I know she will bring so much love and happiness into our lives that things will never be the same again.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I laughed out loud at the visual of you getting stuck in the fridge.

Did you get to drink the lovely orange 'soda' shit for your GD test?? I, too, failed my first GD test and then the 3 hour fasting test. I didnt have any symptoms either and I swore up until the moment the girls were born that it was screwed and that I didnt have GD and the only reason my blood sugar was out of whack was because I had two babies sucking my nutrients or whatever. I come from a family of nurses, one being a Labour/Delivery nurse and they all took one look at my blood sugar monitor after poking myself daily in the finger and said that 4.2 is not GD. I got so mad at the dietician for telling me that I didnt want 'fat babies' that I stopped going to the appointments all together. I told her I DID want fat babies and I wanted them at least 6lbs and she wasnt taking into consideration that I was carrying TWO.

I still say the only reason I felt light headed is because I had to fast from something like 9pm the night before, until noon the next day. Anyone would feel light headed if they had to go that long without eating or drinking!

Extra iron can make you bunged up, so eat your prunes and bran muffins too! I took extra iron from 5 months and I remember being poop deprived for the first little while until my body got used to it.

Sciatica... lovely. It doesnt go away right away either. Get the leg twitches yet?? Oooh Restless Leg Syndrome, you are the bane of my sleep. I was told it would go away after popping out a couple kids, but NOPE. Still got it!

Good luck on your GD test. I will cross my fingers for a negative.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home