Thursday, June 08, 2006

Edit This, B*tch

At my stupid job, I generate a lot of reports. I also have to do things like update all of the policy manuals and take meeting minutes at all staff meetings. So, lots of writing. I love writing, and I understand that I am not going to produce material that is absolutely perfect every time, however; when my stuff is unnecessarily edited 6 or 7 times, I think there might be some issues.

For example, I recently updated our policy manual. It was edited 3 times and then finally approved. The edits usually consist of my idiot boss correcting and then re-correcting her former corrections (things like how many spaces are between titles, put this is alphabetical order-no wait, don’t--put it by project title--no wait, alpha is better…) I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. Anyway, so it was approved by the idiot so I had 2 copies printed in colour and bound. Yesterday she says to me:

“Did you ever finish that policy manual?”

At this point the rage starts to bubble up.

“Yes, you don’t remember? You edited it and then I published it”

I would like to take a moment here and point out that THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO READ AND USE THIS THING ARE HER AND I, NO ONE ELSE WORKS HERE.

“I don’t remember. I’d better go over it again.” she says.

So she does. And she fucking marks up the whole thing with edits that contradict her former edits. I know this woman has a GIANT chip on her shoulder because she comes from butt-fuck nowhere and only has a 2 year college degree (and there is nothing wrong with that. The only reason I point this out is because she constantly criticizes people that don’t have at least a BA, for reasons I can’t understand). She is cutting my work to shreds because this is what she thinks she should do and because when she hands stuff in to her manager, the dithering old man cuts her stuff to shreds because he is a perfectionist workaholic with nothing better to do.

And this is what I must deal with. It sickens me when a fuckwit with little or no understanding of grammar or the English language in general tells me how to write. I have a degree in English, which did help me in fine tuning my writing and research skills, however, I am also not an idiot, unlike my boss, and I am able to string a few sentences together about the bullshit that went on in a meeting or how to operate the photocopy machine.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.


Office Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home