Thursday, April 27, 2006

It Just Gets Worse

Work. The scourge of the drinking classes. The necessary evil. The place that fills you with dread on Sunday nights. And now, for me, the place where they try to screw you over with disputes over your pay.

I am now convinced I work for, possibly, the biggest asshole I have ever met. Not only is she an asshole, she is also incompetent. Not only is she incompetent, but she fucks up a lot. Of course, I will not go into great detail or name names here, but I will provide a background as well as an opportunity for me to vent:

When I was offered this job, they were having a hard time finding someone. The reason for this, as I now know, was becasue my boss could not find anyone satisfactory enough to meet her ridiculous and unfounded standards. The saying "those in glass houses..." applies directly to her. Anyway. I agreed to come over to this company from the other company I was working for, who work here in the office as well. Both companies are, in a way, partners in many things. I was taking a big risk but was propelled into this position by the money. I was told that the job was being offered with a certain salary, but that in the time they had been trying to find someone, they had decided to raise it. This was all stated verbally to me, never written down. When I signed my contract, the amount was much higher and was also reflected in a per hour amount, rather than shown as salary.

Recently, my company discovered that our accountant screwed up our taxes and had not been deducting enough from our paycheques. When they told me the true amount of take-home pay I would be receiving once this tax situation was sorted out, I realized that I was being paid much less than I was supposed to be. On my paystubs, there is no breakdown, just a total of my gross and then the deductions. I have never seen my salary written down, nor have I ever signed a document with my yearly figure on it. All I have seen is my hourly.

This is why I assumed (after having signed a contract that represents my pay in a per hour format) that I was paid hourly. When I brought this issue up with my boss, I was told that I was on salary. When I told her that they were underpaying me, she told me that I was incorrect and that if they were to pay me what I thought I was owed (based on what I make hourly) they would be overpaying me.

Huh.

I signed a contract that stated clearly what I am to be paid per hour. When this is calculated with what they are actually paying me, I am making thousands of dollars less a year than I am owed by contract.

Nice eh? It gets better.

She tells me that she will have to look at my contract again and go over this with her boss. When I tell her I am concerned that they will cut my hourly down, she tells me to sit tight and wait. No reassurance, no nothing. Bitch.

They (her and her boss, who rules over the whole place) start going over my contract in quiet whispering tones so that I cannot hear them, yet they remain in the same area as me. I notice that they are talking about changing policies.

My blood starts boiling.

After an hour, I am presented with a letter that I am supposed to sign that not only says in the first line that "Though we had a verbal agreement, we fucked up and are paying you too much" but then goes on to say that "even though you were promised a raise at your yearly review, you will not get one because you are being overpaid."

I refused to sign the letter. Well, that did not go over too well. And here I am now, facing the wrath of my boss who has clearly decided to take this out on me. I know for a fact that she fucked up and is trying ever so hard not to let her boss find out. (Though both of them looked at the contract before they gave it to me.) I also know that the girl I worked with at the other company, who I am now very close with, was offered the position with my company a while ago, before I accepted it. She was also told she would receive the same hourly rate as I am getting right now.

Interesting.

Office Girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home