Monday, July 07, 2008

Hippy Chick

Forgive me for not writing very regularly. You see, as well as caring for Avery, who is about as much work as a set of sextuplets on crack, I have been slowly turning into a paranoid, establishment hating, vegan food loving, cloth diaper using hippie.

It all started when the husband and I read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma". Which is fascinating and terrifying and life-changing to read. Then, bit by bit, we started changing how we live.
  1. We stopped eating meat
  2. We stopped eating processed foods (except for the occasional take away pizza)
  3. Goodbye disposable diapers and wipes. Hello cloth and tea tree oil.
  4. We started buying only organic produce for us and making Avery's food with only organic produce.
  5. We dug up the backyard and planted a giant vegetable garden. Fresh food in the summer, canned and preserved in the winter.
  6. No more pesticides or herbicides.
  7. We bought 2 rain barrels.
  8. We had an environmental assessment done on our house.
  9. We bought a tankless hot water heater.
  10. We got new windows.
  11. We put up a clothing line in the backyard.
  12. We bought a reverse-osmosis water treatment filter for the house.
  13. We tossed out all of Avery's baby shampoos, lotions and diaper rash creams and bought all natural ones with no harmful chemicals in them.
  14. We planted some trees: 2 apple, 1 peach, and another maple tree.
  15. I stopped shaving my armpits. No, just kidding. Although I must say that I'm not as good at keeping up with things like that these days.

So, we've been pretty busy. And the amazing thing is, I am so used to living this way now that I can't imagine going back to the old way of life. Next step: wait for the housing market to crash and buy a farm.

Seriously.

And I am totally going to have my own donkey.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

When I was a kid I lived on a farm AND had a pet donkey. His name was Danny and he was a former petting zoo donkey, so when you rode him, he would walk around in 3 circles then stop and wait for you to get off him then get back on before he would start walking again. Seriously. Smart animals.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home