Thursday, June 21, 2007

1 centimetre

Saw the OB today. I am dilated 1 centimetre which he assures me is normal and means nothing other than the fact that I am nearing the end of my pregnancy. He says he will most likely see me in the office next week. Avery is doing well and he thinks she will probably weigh about 7 to 7 ½ pounds when she is born. As for the swelling, he says I should stop working, go buy a bunch of magazines and books and stay at home with my feet up. I am seriously considering this today. I am so, so tired. Next week is my last week but, as he reminded me, I will not have ANY time to myself until Avery is in kindergarten so I should take advantage now.

The hormones seem to be at their height for some reason. I woke up kind of in a funk (I need to stop watching documentaries about peak oil and Rwanda for awhile) and when I was waiting in the OB’s office, a woman and her husband walked in looking very panicky. My OB came out to talk to her. She had had a few miscarriages and was back to find out the result of her latest pregnancy. Her physician had forgotten to send some test results over and had also failed to tell her the status of her current pregnancy. My OB confirmed that it was a healthy, single fetus in there but she would need to go and have another ultrasound because the first one missed something. I could hear the desperation and stress in her voice and soon I was tearing up. Ugh. How embarrassing. I just felt so bad for her. I remember that feeling of desperation when you don’t know if you are getting bad news or good news or what the hell is going on.

Anyway, my OB could tell I was a little sensitive so he was pretty easy on me today. He even talked to me about my job and my plans for going back to work and how many children I wanted to have. It was very unlike him.

So that’s it. After an uncomfortable internal exam, we find that we are not ahead of the game. That’s okay though. I think I’ll try to spend some more time resting and staying off my feet until my lovely daughter decides it is her time to come into this world. Until then, I am a puffy, blubbering anxiety-ridden mess.

Welcome to motherhood.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home