Thursday, October 19, 2006

Don't Do It!!!

My husband and I went to Mexico to get married. By ourselves. It was beautiful, romantic and stress-free, not to mention cheap. There was a reason we did this, and I was reminded of it last night at the dinner rehearsal for my husband’s brother’s wedding.

I rushed home so that I could walk the puppy and my husband could finish up a few things (he’s finishing our basement). I raced back home, started the BBQ and threw on a couple of sausages that we had to wolf down in five minutes because we had to leave for the rehearsal dinner early, as it was an hour away. Why did we eat sausages when we were going to a dinner? Well, lets just say that based on how disorganized this whole thing has been so far, we assumed that there might not be a dinner.

We were right.

I don’t know why they called it a dinner. I know that traditionally, there is a rehearsal and then everyone goes out to eat, say a few nice things to everyone, thank people, and then leave. Not here.

We got to the hall early, met the preacher or whatever he is (I’m not a big religious person) and then waited for everyone else. The place was pretty. There were big pillars everywhere, lots of flowers and everything was perfect. This was not going to be where they were getting married.

First let me tell you that they are spending around $15,000 for this wedding. The ceremony will be in one of those plastic tents beside the main parking lot; actually it’s in the parking lot. The aisle has pillars running down the centre of it for some reason. I have no idea why they would set up the tent there if they knew this. So basically, if people are walking down the aisle hand in hand, they’ll have to let go every couple of feet and then rejoin. The reception is in a room that could probably hold maximum 50 people. There are over 130 attending. The staff at this place told my brother in law that it would be tight. It will be so tight in fact that they are losing the dance floor because all the tables will not fit in.

At this point, I just started to feel bad for my brother in law. He was so stressed. I asked him about what he needed us to do and he couldn’t even tell us. He started fighting with his fiancé and told us that she keeps changing all the plans so we should ask her what we need to do. When I asked her she had no idea. Then my brother in law got in a fight with his mother.

The whole thing was chaos. They couldn’t even tell us if they would have an emcee for the day, so no one knows when they need to make their speeches. I really hope everything works out for them but I can’t understand why they are not being more proactive about the whole thing when they are paying so much money. They’ve both just thrown up their hands. At the end of the rehearsal the bride to be turned to me and said: “I wish we’d just gone away to do this. I can’t take all this stress anymore.” So what the hell is the point? I don’t understand who they are doing this for. They had to borrow money from us because they can’t afford this wedding. I really do not understand their motivation.

I hope the whole thing goes off without a hitch but I have a terrible feeling that it won’t. I have already booked hotel rooms for some people and last night the bride-to-be casually tells me that there will probably be more people staying over. I was like HELLO!?! Don’t you think you should have either told me this before hand or booked them a room yourself??? So I figured fuck it, those people are on their own. When they call the hotels in the area and realize that everything is booked up they’ll see why things like that need to be done ahead of time.

People need to stop acting like irresponsible children and man up. I’ve had enough!

Office Girl.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're getting married ouside?? In October?! Forgive my westcoast ignorance but doesnt it get pretty chilly in T.Dot in mid-October?

Sheesh. What a gong show.

After all was said and done Andrew and I agreed that we should have taken the money that we spent, plus the money our parents gave us and gone away and gotten married... then thrown a party at home afterwards. I tell everyone else that but the majority of girls tell me they want a big white wedding. I WAS the same way, then I realized the benefit of avoiding all the insanity and taking a vacation.

Teh Mommeh.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home