Tuesday, December 11, 2007

not working out

Sooooo, yeah. The whole "meeting up with other moms" thing the other day did not work out. Basically, I met another girl with a four month old through my step-sister and she "Facebooked" me to let me know that her and the other moms were meeting up at the mall and would I like to come. Because of her abundant use of exclamation points in the invite and because she added me to her Facebook so quickly, I said to myself: "Wow, she seems really friendly and it sounds like she would like to get together with me. This is going to be good for me."

So I woke Avery from her nap early (bad mommy), and tried to force feed her so that I wouldn't have to whip a boob out in the mall (really bad mommy), but she refused and so we headed out into the freezing cold day to meet up with other moms at the mall.

All the way there I was thinking to myself how good it was that I was getting out and meeting other moms. This would be the first time that I have done anything like this because I am a moody hermit who is bent on making myself miserable by keeping myself isolated with a small baby while trying to recover from post-partum depression.

So I get to the mall and all the moms are sitting on benches by the entrance. I walk over with a beaming smile on my face and prepare to meet everyone. The girl I met through my sister-in- law, let's just call her bitchface, turns and says hello to me, and then goes right back to her conversation with one of the other moms. She didn't even crack a smile. So I stood there like a fucking asshole while the women ignored me. LITERALLY ignored me. Finally one of them asked me my name, then we all proceeded to the food court. At this point, I was planning on getting out of there as soon as possible, but thought I would give them another shot. On the way to the food court, I weakly tried to make conversation with bitchface, which basically ended up in an exchange about how ready both of us were for Christmas. Not a single one of those women even asked Avery's name, and they barely even looked at her in the stroller. All of them were very concerned about buying their babies some silver bracelet or something that is like $200 and so we stopped at every jewellery store on the way to the food court.

When we got to our destination, I decided to just tell people I had already eaten instead of having dirty looks thrown in my direction while I tried to explain that I try not to eat processed food and I definitely do not eat fast food. Then Avery got hungry so I headed off to the bathroom to feed her (they have a shitty little breastfeeding area in there). When I returned, even more mommies had shown up and one of them had taken my seat.

I pretty much just took off after that. The giant fat mommy that I temporarily sat across from before going off to feed Avery basically insulted me by telling me that Avery is a man's name, that she thought I was crazy for having Avery in size 5 diapers already when clearly she should only be in size 3's still as her son is 8 months old and still in size 3's (yes, I guess this is what some mommies really do talk about), and mentioned the fact that she goes to church like 18 times. Oh, and she schedules "new foods" for her son to try on Thursdays like I give a flying fuck. If I could have said to her what I really wanted to say it would go something like this:

"Why don't you go eat a hoagie you fat bitch. You have an ugly baby, I hate religion and I think you are full of shit."

So Avery and I went to Old Navy where I did some therapy shopping for myself and then high-tailed it home. It was a complete waste of time. It was like high school where people think that they are cool by being rude and all non-plussed about everything. So fuck them.

I joined Babyville in my neighbourhood and Avery and I start going in January. Hopefully the mothers there will be less retarded; otherwise I am going back to my moody, shut-in ways.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I sooo feel you on this. I have been going to "mommy meetups" since my daughter was 7 weeks old. She is almost 15 months old now and I only have 2 or 3 real friends to show for all of the tedious judgement-filled "playdates" I've endured. The good news is, the 2 or 3 cool moms you will inevitably eventually meet make it a lot easier to deal with the 5,000 bitchfaces you'll have to weed through to find them.

The bitchfaces still suck, though. Sometimes I wonder if all the other interesting moms are at home, hiding and watching cable like me, and I lament: how will we ever find each other??

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home